I would like
to introduce my mother Linnell, she was born in Watts, California in South Central Los
Angeles. She was raised by her mother Rita who was a factory worker and never
had much food on the table. Her mother is French and her father was Irish they were divorced when my mother was a young girl. She remembers going hungry a lot and sharing
lunch with her teacher. Linnell was a small white girl with blond hair and blue
eyes living in a predominantly black neighborhood. Although she was one of only
a few white people at her school, Linnell felt more comfortable around people
of color. My mother did not grow up very religious but she became very
spiritual and passionate about equal rights and was very involved in that
movement. She came of age in the 1960’s and was and still is a free
spirit. My mother and father lived in
Venice beach, Ca. and lived a bohemian beatnik lifestyle for many years
together.
Interviewing
my mother was fantastic because I learned of things about my family that I has no idea about. I
was mostly comfortable throughout the interview but it did get a little awkward
when there was some stuff that she really didn’t want me to write about. I do
not think that it affected the thoroughness of the interview because we did
talk about it. If I was interviewing someone unrelated to me and I don’t think
the interviewee nor I would feel as comfortable talking with each other as my
mother and I do.
The patterns I see in my kinship chart is that my mother was only close with very few in her family. She was only close with her sister and recently her own mother. My mother had a very sad childhood and she was kidnapped by her father only to be sent to live with his mother. Her mother found her and took her back so she had lost ties to her father and his side of the family at a young age. The families in my family tend to be relatively small on average from 2-4 kids. There are ethnic differences in my family, my mother married a black man (my father) but I do not think it had a social impact on the family relationships or social interactions due to the fact that my mother had dated black men before and the family lived in a black neighborhood. I think it had to do with the fact my mother was not religious and my uncle Johnny and his family are Mormon and my mother didn’t agree with there lifestyle and did not like religion being pushed down her throat so we were not close with her brother or his family.
There
was no one in my family my mother felt comfortable asking for money,
babysitting or favors of any kind. She had asked her mother for money once and was denied so never again and my aunt babysat my brother and I only once too.
I know only a few family members
on my mother’s side well and I know mostly the family on my father’s side. I very rarely socialize with my
family due to the fact that we are pretty spread out over the country. I do go
see my grandma (mom’s mom) every Christmas but really never see my family much except
for my mother who lives down the street from me. Right now in my family the decision making is
being done by my mother and aunt who are in charge of my grandmother and her
estate due to her declining health. If
you were married into our family we would treat you just like family, but that
is me, I guess it did take my husband a few years for him to get in! I feel
that the attitudes towards men and women in my family are pretty much equal.
Women are treated with respect, I don’t think we would have it any other way!
I have learned that my family
needs to get together. Life is too short to let something like religion get in
the way of us being a family. It is also hard to maintain that close nit family unit
when your family is spread out all over the map. I would like to start calling
my family more especially my Dad. I think a call for a family reunion is due!

MY MOM GREW UP ON 120TH AND COMPTON AVE AND WENT TO CentenniaL HIGH! MY MOM IS HALF BLACK/IRISH/CHEROKEE INDIAN. I LIKE YOUR MOMS LIFE STORY, FUN READ!
ReplyDeleteIt is a small world isnt it! I can't remember which high school she went to but she did go to Edison Jr. High. She told me that they once moved to a more white neighborhood and she was going crazy because there were not enough black people around. She said that her skin my be white but that is not how she feels inside. Have you seen the movie "For Colored Girls by Tyler Perry? It is one of the most moving movies I have ever seen. I think every woman needs to see this, no matter the color of your skin we are all women :-)
DeleteI am reminded of an old curse (is it Irish?): "May you live in interesting times." In line with that thought, your mom has led an "interesting life" hasn't she? I appreciate hearing about her circumstances and you did a great job with the interview and the analysis.
ReplyDeleteI was looking at your kinship chart and had a question. In your mother's grandparent generation (your grandparent generation) there is a unattached "floating couple" there to the right of your greatgrandparents on your grandmother's side. Who is that couple?
I appreciate your recognition that your husband might have felt that it took a little longer to be treated as family! That was the point of the question. :-)
Nicely done.
My mom has led an interesting life. She has some amazing and moving stories to tell. I think she needs to write a book!
DeleteThe floating couple are actually my mother's Father's parents Bridget Agnes Barrett and Richard Barrett from Dublin, Ireland. That is he lady my (my greatgrandmother) mother stayed with when she was kidnapped. I also mixed up my brother, I labeled him as DIL(daughter in law)and his wife S (son) so they needed to be corrected.
It is interesting how my mother and her brother werent close due to his religion and my brother and I are not close due to his religion.I guess I am more like my mom then I realized!
I agree with you Cristal sometimes it takes time to accept a new comer or member in the family. I think it takes adjustment in a new family setting until they will be acceptance. My husband has nobody now. If he has relatives he doesnt even know their whereabouts. I felt sad because I came from big family however we ended up just the two of us because I have no relatives or families here too. It is nice to have a big family but circumstances sometimes change it. Nice Post!!!
ReplyDeleteI am sure it is hard going from having a big family to not really having one. Maybe things will change for this next generation that is what I am hoping for my kids in their future.
DeleteWow, reading your blog was very interesting and I like that your mother really went out of her way to get involved in equal rights. It’s great how people can take hardships in their life and turn them into positive things. I interview my mom as well and it helped me learn things about my family that I didn’t know before. This was my favorite assignment by far. I can’t believe your mother had to live through changing homes all the time and being kidnapped. My mother also wasn’t close with many people in her family because all she had was her mom and then when she turned 18 she went looking for her dad and discovered she had a bug family. It is important for families to get together but sometimes it is just hard. We have the same problem with my mom’s side of the family, we don’t see them very much but sometimes it only takes one person to make and effort. This assignment really helped me learn about my heritage and I also learned about problems and reasoning’s behind people’s actions in my family.
ReplyDelete~Heather L. Gault